You will need this information when you wish to add a social media icon to a cover page or webpage.
What is the Social Icons tile/portlet?
The social icons tile/portlet allows you to add in social media icons to advertise to users that they can follow you on your chosen social media channels.
Populating a Social Icons tile/portlet:
- Whilst the Social icons tile and portlet perform in a similar way, the route for adding content to each is different:
- Social icons tile;
- When you navigate to the 'Compose' view, you will be able to hover over the social icons tile/portlet and then click edit.
- Social icons portlet;
Click on your name in the top right of the edit bar to access the drop-down menu, ensuring that you are on the page you wish to host the portlet.
Select Manage portlets from the dropdown menu.
From the portlets drop down menu, click on Social icons.
- You will see a pop up for you to edit the tile/portlet and define the following:
- 'Follow icons title'
- This is a title that will appear above the icons if you wish to show one.
- You will see a 'Following buttons' field that is a table. Simply put in the URL's of the services that you wish to link to, one per line, as demonstrated below (don't forget the 'http://'):
- There are limiting set of URLs that are recognised by the system and turn into appropriate icons e.g., Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, YouTube. If the link is not recognised the 'B' (blog) icon is provided. Please contact the Help desk if you wish to request a new icon is accepted.
- You can use the arrows on the right of the form to reorder how the social icons will appear on your website.
- Save the tile/portlet.
When using a portlet, there is an additional headed section in the Social icons edit interface:
This feature allows the user to deploy a border of their choice on either or both sides of the portlet.
This feature allows the user to deploy a highlighted background to the portlet.
Changing the Social icons showing in the tile/portlet:
- When editing the Social icons tile;
- To change the icons, simply edit the tile and add or remove items from the table.
- When editing the Social icons portlet;
- Click on your name in the top right of the edit bar to access the drop-down menu, ensuring that you are on the correct page, which hosts the portlets in question.
- Select ‘Manage portlets’ from the dropdown menu.
- Click onto the portlet you wish to and add or remove items from the table.
Removing the Social icons tile:
- If you wish to remove the Social icons tile, navigate to the 'Layout' view of the cover page, and click 'x' in the top left of the tile/portlet. When deleting a tile, the tile you are selecting has a red border.
Removing the Social icons portlet
If you wish to remove the Social icons portlet, click on your name in the top right of the edit bar to access the drop-down menu, ensuring that you are on the correct page, which hosts the portlets in question.
Select ‘Manage portlets’ from the dropdown menu
Click on the X button, next to the portlet you wish to delete.